As the weather outside turns colder and we start spending more time indoors with the heater on, many of us start to notice our skin feels tighter, drier and itchier. When your skin begins to feel this way, it may be easy to assume that you have dry skin (type), when it could actually be the lack of humidity in your environment that is making your skin dehydrated.
Before you automatically reach for a heavier moisturizer, let’s first identify the differences between Dry Skin and Dehydrated Skin:
Dry skin is a skin type. Genetics are to blame for this skin type that is naturally deficient in sebum, which helps keep your skin naturally lubricated and protected. Dry skin types have tiny, nearly invisible pores, with skin that appears dull or flat (and yes, a little more visibly wrinkly than oilier skin types). Dry skin types may also be easily irritated or sensitive to new products.
Dehydrated skin is a skin condition. Any skin type: dry, normal/combination, or oily, that does not have proper moisturization can easily become dehydrated. Dehydrated skin is lacking in water. External factors play a part in this condition, including using harsh cleansers or cleansing too frequently, using the wrong moisturizer for your skin type, low humidity, poor health or side effects from prescription medications, drinking too much alcohol or caffeine. Acne-prone skin can also become dehydrated when using strong treatment products. Dehydrated skin appears flaky and feels tight, and can develop tiny cracks, or fissures, on the surface, which can cause the skin to become inflamed. When the skin is dehydrated, it creates more oil to make up for the missing water, which can cause extra oil, more breakouts, and irritation. Try the “snap back” test by pinching the skin on the back of your hand to see how quickly it snaps back into shape to measure how dehydrated your skin is.
Whether your skin is dry or dehydrated, these tips will help you deal:
- Use a moisturizer with a balanced ratio of lipid ingredients for proper skin barrier function, such as Epionce Renewals* (there are 4 different formulas to fit all skin types)
- Cleanse with a pH-balanced, non-lipid stripping cleanser
- For oilier or problem skin types prone to dehydration, follow stronger treatment products with formulas containing ingredients that improve hydration without over-stimulating oil production such as: niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, and certain peptides.
- Avoid long, hot showers – because, believe it or not, too much water can actually cause the skin to feel worse.
- Use a humidifier when heater usage depletes room humidity.
- Increase your daily water intake and consider supplements that contain healthy omega fatty acids.
*SAVE 20% on ALL Epionce Renewal products including Intense Defense Serum, Renewal Facial Cream, Renewal Facial Lotion, Renewal Lite Facial Lotion, Intensive Nourishing Cream and Renewal Eye Cream (plus a special gift with purchase) until December 31st at Face Perfection LLC, or order online by clicking HERE.